Improving your core stability and leg strength can help you enjoy your running a lot more. By improving these to areas, you will find more balance in your running leaving you feeling more at ease. This in turn allows you to get the most out of your efforts and will actually start to enjoy your runs more.
With good balance, you reduce the risk of injuries and in this article I am going to share some suspension training exercises that you can do with your TRX to improve your core stability and build up your leg strength. I have had many of my runner friends try this out for 3 to 4 weeks and they were amazed at how much better they had felt. It it can help them, I am sure it will be good for you too!
These suspension exercises provide an excellent idea to recognize, improve and ultimately, overcome those imbalances, so you can do what you enjoy, longer and more pain free. By implementing these effective exercises you will see running a faster 5km becomes more easier and relaxing.
TRX Forward Lunge to I-Fly
This exercise targets your hip flexor mobility, stabilized your core and improves single leg balance. It also will improve your co-ordination that will even out your running stride. Small subtle changes that improves many areas.
- Stand facing away from the anchor point holding the handles with arms out straight.
- Lunge forward on your right leg until your knee is 90 degrees
- Let your knee gently touch the ground
- As you go down, keep your arms straight and move them up above your head so that you are reaching up as you lunge down.
- Hold the stretch for a few seconds
- Tighten your core as you return to the starting position by pushing through your leg on the way up.
- Repeat with your left leg.
- Do this for about 30 to 40 seconds.
TRX Single Arm Row
This exercises helps build strength and stability to improve your arm drive and posture. You will be resisting throughout the exercises to increase your durability.
- Stand facing the anchor point
- Lean back while holding your self up with the Suspension Trainer in one hand.
- Tighten your core and focus on having a strong plank with your shoulders pulled down and back.
- Holding your plank, use your back muscles to pull your chest up to your hand.
- Return to the starting position in a slow controlled movement.
TRX Suspended Lunge
This is a very good exercises that will improve your balance in the both the left and right leg.
- Stand facing away from the anchor point
- Place one leg through both of the foot cradles.
- Ground yourself through your working leg and find your plank before you start moving.
- Push your hips down and back, and lunge down until your front knee is bent to 90 degrees.
- Keep your core tight and your chest up the whole exercise
- Let your arms match your stride pattern, mimicking the way your run.
- Drive through your front foot and use your glute and hamstring to bring you back up to the top.
- Pause for a moment to reset your plank before starting the net rep.
Repeat the above exercises three times and you should be well on your way to having more great runs from here on out.